The Gaya Island Resort: Rainforest Wonderland

8:45 AM

Location: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Gaya Island is located a few kilometers west of Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia's state of Sabah and a two-hour plane ride from the country's capital, Kuala Lumpur. Its amazing how a two-hour plane ride can change the scenery; from the very modern buildings of Kuala Lumpur to the gradient blue waters of Gaya Island. This is one of the reasons why I keep coming back to Malaysia.  

It was my second time visiting this part of the world and I couldn't think of any other escape-worthy place than YTL Hotels' Gaya Island Resort. And when mobpoetry asked me to snap a few photos for them (coming soon!), I immediately recommended the place to be the location. Why, you might ask? Well, let's just say it's because of my on-going love affair with this place. 

Getting there
We arrived a bit late from Kuala Lumpur, good thing they have already arranged a private jetty for us that would take us to the resort (150USD, one-way and subject to a few days notice). The jetty was a quick 15-minute ride and when we arrived at the resort, their welcoming committee were already greeting us "Welcome back!". 

Check-in
The check-in took place in the resort lobby and I was already being guided to my Kinabalu Villa in no-time. It was fast, as always! And for someone who just arrived from a delayed flight and a night flight, it was pretty hassle free. 

Room
I stayed at the Kinabalu Villa top-unit, this time. The 47 square meter villa was amazing with ample space to walk around. I personally loved the walk-in closet (okay, I think everyone loves a walk-in closet),the huge bathroom, the huge bathtub (it can fit like 3 people inside and I'm not even kidding), the balcony...okay, I think it's safe to say that I adore this room so much. 
The road from the resort lobby was a bit steep and long though but if you're here to unwind and reconnect with nature, this is definitely the villa of choice. I mean, come on, it has the escape-worthy tag all over it.

View
I'm a huge sucker for gorgeous views and one thing that made me love Gaya Island Resort even more is their Kinabalu Villas that has an uninterrupted view of the very famous Mt.Kinabalu. But really, what makes it so exciting? It would probably be the amazing sunrise. At around 5 am, you'll see the sun slowly coming out of Mt.Kinabalu. Its nature at its finest!

Amenities
What I absolutely love about this quiet resort is their private beach called Tavajun Bay (Daily boat transfers is arranged by the hotel, free of charge). Even with the existence of a Marine Reserve and a small Thai restaurant, the place is much more peaceful and quiet compared to the main beach and I think the mountain that connects with the sea adds up to its charm too.
What's an escape without Spa? With its very unique award-winning Spa Village, you can be pampered before going back to the hustle and bustle of the city. I adore the use of indigenous materials in all of their treatments (and welcome drinks!); It makes the place even more Malaysian.

I suggest trying out the pool bar at night when there's not that much people and when there's more privacy. (I also want to mention the very friendly bartender, Layla that made me a very special drink! I enjoyed it so much.)

Service
Just like 6 months ago, the service was top-notch. I like how they treat their guests genuinely; definitely sets the bar higher compared to other resorts. From Check-in to Check-out.  

Check-out
Check-out was pretty smooth; with the lobby people preparing the papers while we eat breakfast at the Feast Village, our luggage has been brought down from our rooms and were already stored in the boats. The next thing I knew we were saying goodbye to the staff on our way back to Sutera Harbour. 

Final Judgment
Just like 5 months ago, I left Gaya Island Resort with a huge sigh. Huge sigh because I never wanted to leave the island! This YTLHotel deserves each and every star on its rating.

Thank you so much to MOBPOETRY for partnering on this post! 
For rates and information about Gaya Island Resort, click here.
Photos by Passport Out

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook