Kamakura (Part uno)

6:10 AM

Location: Kita-Kamakura, Kanagawa, Japan
Kita-Kamakura is the stop before the main Kamakura station on the JR Yokosuka Line. It’s a relatively small station compared to the ones you see in Tokyo and I think that’s what makes this place even more special than what its already is.
Being the stop before the main city of Kamakura, tourists often neglect this escape-worthy place and tend to just go straight to where the nearest civilization is. This, in fact, is proven to be very much of an advantage. After all, I believe that the lesser the crowds are, the more you can immerse yourself fully into one destination’s history and culture.

The moment you step out of the train, you’ll notice how quiet and serene this neighborhood is. Other than that, have I mentioned that the people here are one of the nicest people I’ve met in Japan? And to think the land of the rising sun already has the most polite and kind people around. I tell you; they make walking around even more pleasurable.

What to see
Considering how small this area is, it’s quite surprising how much history is hidden in this quaint little town. One of these would definitely be Kenchoji Temple. It’s very famous for the wooden Sanmon Gate and the Zen Garden that was designed by Zen master Muso Kokushi. A few meters from the Kenchoji would be the Engakuji Temple that’s very popular for being the enshrinement site of the Buddha Tooth Relic.

I’m not taking favorites but I think the one I admire most would be the Meigetsuin Temple. It’s a 10-15 minute walk from the station and probably is the epitome of calmness. It’s famous for its Hydrangea flowers that bloom in the month of June and the very distinct moon gate in the Hojo (Main Hall).

What to do
Aside from taking a leisurely walk around town, another must do would be the tea ceremony at the teahouse near Engakuji where you can have a cup of tea and some traditional sweets while enjoying the calmness of the place. I suggest doing this during the autumn season when it’s not too hot and not too cold.
Discover this lesser known spot in Kamakura and you’ll probably discover why this country captivates me so much. Do you feel the same way for another country? Tell me about it in the comments below! I’d like to hear all about it.


Photos by Passport Out

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook